Sunday, March 29, 2009

Hamlet...

Like any other epic movies, I would be thrilled even before I watch them. The moment I caught the name Mel Gibson, the first thing that popped into my mind is 'Great! It's gonna be awesome!'. Plus 'Hamlet' is one of the great masterpieces wrote by Shakespeare, and the play is truly a wander. I even sat at the front row during the movie session.
The movie was great. Everything from actors, settings, costumes and playwright are simply great. But one thing that makes the movie kind of boring is that the languages used are too classic, plus there are no subtitles (at least if it has subtitles as hearing impairment, it's going to be much more understandable). But alas, the movie did left some impression on me.
It starts with the death of Hamlet's father, which causes Hamlet to isolate himself. One day, someone tells Hamlet that he saw his father's ghost. Several other men also claim that they saw the ghost too. As Hamlet faces the ghost himself, he then found out that the murderer of his father is his own uncle who now marries his mother and become the king of Denmark. He swears to take revenge. In order to carry out his plan to avenge his father, he acts like a madman. In the end, as his uncle attempt to murder him by putting poison into his wine, his mother is the one who actually drinks the wine. After her death, all the truth about his uncle's wicked plans are unveiled. Tragically, all of them die, with Hamlet being slashed by a poisoned sword.
The movie is much like Oedipus Rex, both are tragical. The existence of mystical elements in both titles; Oedipus Rex with prophecies and Hamlet with ghost, somehow bring out the fact that nothing evil can be hidden. And I somehow enjoy the movie myself..

No comments:

Post a Comment