Friday, March 27, 2009

Learn, Apply, Teach!

Through this course, I've picked up several ways and ideas for teaching drama.I have read several plays, and I like most of them. If one is already accustomed to reading classic novels or short stories, or a fan of literature, reading drama scripts might not be too much of a problem for them. In fact, if we are to teach students who have pure interest in literature, we seriously should be in peace of mind, as we do not have to squash our brains out to search for interesting ideas to teach. But how exactly to teach typical students who several of them might not have any interest at all towards literature? The most basic move is to choose suitable plays, which can attract them to read and understand. As for me, I do enjoy reading "The Swordfish, and Then the Concubine" by Kee Thuan Chye. Not only it is humorous, I am more familiar with it's settings than of Oedipus Rex's. From the names and myths used in the play, I found it is quite easier to understand. Comparing to Oedipus Rex, it is a whole different myths, beliefs and history (for example God Apollo, the role of Teiresias and the oracle, the city of Thebes, Delphi and Corinth) which I am not really familiar with. The factors can also lead to the level of interest in a student to learn the play. So I think it is crucial to choose plays that the students can be more familiar with.

No comments:

Post a Comment