The topic "Arranged Marriage vs Love Marriage" is the one Dr Jaya came up with during the discussion for the position paper in class. I never really think deeply about this issue, but when we all discussed about it, I slowly think that we MUST have opinions about it. Arranged marriage is still practiced in Asia, particularly in India. When we talk about arranged marriage, one thing that popped into my mind is "How old school". But as we discussed, and given opinions and advantages, arranged marriage does have positive outcomes, still, in this modern age. Rather than finding your own spouse, who could be 'all love, nothing else', maybe it's better to leave the matter to the parents. It's one of the ideas, but I'm still opposed to it. If it comes to me, I want to find my own love to marry. The idea of arranged marriage scares me, really. I want to marry someone I'm familiar with, someone I know I'll love to the end of my life. I'm not criticizing arranged marriages, but IF I'm given the choice, I'll choose love marriages.
Now we're to do another paper based on either "The Great Injustice" or "The Merry Maid", and the idea is to come up with our own position in an issue derived from one of the texts. Frankly, I'm more fond of "The Merry Maid" story, because the story is touching, to me. It does not have to highlight on other serious issues, but the sole relationship of the mother and the child really gives the story it's own impact on the readers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment