Friday, September 17, 2010
Music anyone?
Hm.. Questions: Why do we create music? And why do we listen to music? I believe music is some sort of medium, like poems and stories, a medium for self expression. The many personalities of people, give birth to genres in music. Music is in fact a melodious way to share your feelings and thoughts to others. And we listen to music to enjoy them. If you ask me, what sort of music do I listen to, I find it kind of hard to choose a particular genre. I listen to all sorts of music. From baroque to downright heavy metal. I never really stick to just one genre at particular times, because I just go with what I want to listen. My playlist is a mix of Bach's, Danny Elfman, Hans Zimmer, Nobuo Uematsu, Within Temptation, Slipknot, Metallica, and some others. Some believe that we can analyze the person's personality through the genre of music he listens to. Well, what that makes of me then? Sometimes I got too absorbed into 'Toccata & Fugue in D Minor' and sometimes I got all happy with Sum 41's 'In too Deep'. But sometimes, it's not the lyrics that important, but the melodies. Ever get the chills of listening to tunes or the 'bridge' in a song? I have. Even listening to instrumentals can give me chills. Good music is when the music can touch the listener's very soul. It differs to every people. Like me, when I listen to 'Toomba' by Saaien Zahoor, I didn't get the vibe. I tried listening to it a couple of times more, but failed to grasp the feel like it did to Dr Jaya. It made me wonder whether I was a deaf tone or something. But I realized the acceptance is different to every people. (and I'm still listening to Saaein Zahoor, because I realize 'Toomba' is seriously a great song. It does have a soothing effect..)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

People usually say that to enjoy a song we should understand the lyric but i think this is a wrong concept. If a person having the sense of appreciation to hard work that had been put example in a production of a song in this context, for sure he able appreciate the song he is listening and feel the pleasure of it. The things that we should do when listen to a song is we should stop criticizing the song and listen to it carefully. I felt by listening to songs this way we able to feel the differences of each single songs that had been produced over the years.
ReplyDeletein enjoying a song, we dont need to understand it to love it...we might have different favor in our choice of music, but a good song never fails to awe us in 1 way or another, sooner or later...
ReplyDeleteyup...melody is the most important thing in song...doesn't understand the lyrics doesn't mean that you cannot enjoy the song...most of the sings in my play list are Korean songs...i enjoy the song even i don't understand the lyrics...enjoy the song...feel the melody and you will love it...
ReplyDelete